When it comes to blogging, writing a post is just the beginning. After all of that work you then need to do your own PR and market your content on every social media platform to which you are connected. Hootsuite is a social media scheduling tool that helps make it all just a bit easier!
There are lots of things you can do with Hootsuite (they offer wonderful tutorials of their own), but for the beginner, here is what I have learned about using Hootsuite for Twitter. If you don’t want to spend hours and hours on Twitter everyday, Hootsuite is worth it.
- See all your different social media profiles in one place.
- Schedule updates and links way into the future without having to jump on and off social media all day long.
- With Twitter (that moves very fast) you can customize your streams so you don’t miss the things you want to see.
- You can shorten links to save on characters!
- If you add a Hootsuite extension, you can follow all your favorite blogs!
This post contains affiliate links.
Get an Account.
Go to Hootsuite.
Choose your plan. There are 3 different plans, from free to premium, depending on the number of social media platforms you are managing and the features you would like to use. For now, I am using the free tool for Twitter and it works just fine.
Connect your social media account. To link your Twitter account, hit the Twitter icon, press the ‘Authorize App’ button, enter your username and password, and you are linked!
Now, enter your name, an email address and a password, you are registered with Hootsuite!
That was easy, right?
When you are on the Hootsuite Dashboard you will see a tab your Twitter account listed followed by several streams listed below. Streams are the different things, and ways of connection, you are most likely to use when marketing on Twitter, My streams include my twitter feed, direct messages, @replies, @mentions, and scheduled tweets.
To set up your streams .
- At the top of your dashboard, on a desktop computer, you’ll see a tab labelled with your Twitter username. (You can rename it if you want)
- Click on the + button that says ‘Add Stream”.
- A box will appear with a list of your social media profiles. Choose Twitter. You can choose from a list of common streams (like I mentioned before). I think the best ones to choose are @mentions, your direct inbox, and scheduled tweets (more on that later). You can choose as many as you want .
- Once done with organizing your streams, look at the tabs at the top of the Add Stream box that say stream, search, keyword, and list? These are ways you can add streams and lists that are specific to you.
- Choose the list tab and specify your Twitter account. You’ll see a bunch of your lists come up. You can watch certain tweeters that you’ve categorized into a specific list. This is especially helpful if you have a ton of people you are following.
- Now click on the keyword tab (my favorite part). I’m a blogger who writes about simple living. It’s important to me to keep track of the conversation about simple living right? This is the easiest way to keep up-to-date on a subject. Add any keyword you want and it will pull up a Twitter feed for that word. Perfect for specific hashtags.
- Finally, check out the search tab. Here you can put in the URL of your blog. This way, if someone tweets out your post and forgets to mention you, you can still follow how many people are sending out links to your site. Cool huh?
Send Out Tweets!
- At the top of the dashboard, there is a little box that says, ‘click to select social network.’ Choose your twitter account. In the box to the right, compose your tweet. If you have a link, you can put it in the link box and hit “shrink”. This will shorten the link for your tweet.
- Underneath the box, you’ll see button icons. These allow you to add an image or file, or schedule your tweet. Scheduling is a wicked convenient feature because you can schedule your tweets ahead of time.
- Pick a date and time. Then hit schedule. If you select to see your schedule stream, it’ll appear on your screen.
Follow Your Favorite Blogs!
Add a Hootsuite extension so you can follow all of your favorite blogs!
On your panel, under settings, click on the RSS button. A box will open up showing the blogs you are following. Push the + icon, add your favorite blogs information and stay up to date on all of their content. Then, right in Hootsuite, when you see something you like, you can tweet it out right away!
Looking for more information about Twitter?
Managing the social media for your blog can be overwhelming. Don’t let social media monopolize your time and energy! By using a scheduling tool like Hootsuite you are able to connect to, and grow, your followers and promote your fantastic content easily. It works for my Twitter account and I hope it works for you!
You turn! If you have a favorite tool for scheduling and managing your social media, let me know in the comments! I’d love to hear what you’ve got!
If you liked this post, or learned something new, please share it with your friends. Sharing this post will take just a few seconds and helps to grow this blog. Just click on one of the social sharing buttons on this page. Thanks!
Not a blogger? You should be! Here are some of my favorite resources that made blogging a reality…
Use my FREE step-by-step guide to start a blog- even if you are not the great with computers!
Then, buy a copy of “How to Blog for Profit Without Selling Your Soul” it will make a huge difference as you plan your business and launch your blog. Make this short, and informative, book your blogging bible!
The goal is to make just enough money to afford Elite Blog Academy. This life changing course will teach you how blogging can make a full time income. It is only open for a short time each year but it will give you all of the tools you need to live the life of your dreams.
Just in case you don’t have perfect timing, sign up for the waiting list here. Plus, you can get all of the updates you need about the course.
Many, many, people have had success with Elite Blog Academy. This amazing course, combined with your talent, hustle and guts will change your entire life.